Wimbledon Chase can trace its history back to 1907 when a school for ninety young ladies was opened in Gladstone Road. In 1924, as the school grew bigger, a new school was built in Merton Hall Road on a site that had been a meeting place for staghounds in Tudor times.
The new school became the Wimbledon County School for Girls, which continued until 1969 when Merton first reorganised its education into a three tier system of first, middle and high schools. At that point it became Wimbledon Chase Middle School, firstly for pupils aged 9-13 years and then in 1990 for 8-12 year olds.
The attractive neo-Georgian building that the Middle School inherited is set in its own beautiful grounds. It has excellent facilities with extensive playing fields and hard court areas. Internally it has two halls, a gymnasium, specialist music and cooking areas, a library and a networked computer suite. It also has a nursery with 104 places.
The most recent change for Wimbledon Chase occurred in September 2001 when it began its conversion from a middle to primary school with its first intake of reception children.
Today Wimbledon Chase is a community school for primary school children aged 3-11 years. It is administered by the London Borough of Merton through a Governing Body comprising parents, teachers, Local Authority representatives and Community Governors.